Burns recently replaced Gareth Batty as the captain of Surrey Image: Twitter
After nearly one-and-a-half years of leading Team India, Virat Kohli will take off his captain’s hat while playing county cricket in England.
Next month, Kohli will play under left-handed batsman Rory Burns, who has recently replaced veteran Gareth Batty as the captain of Surrey.
As Kohli’s county stint draws closer, cricket fans are becoming increasingly inquisitive about Burns. Don’t worry, T2 Online has five interesting facts about the man whose tips can probably help Kohli become a better batsman in England
1. Burns made his first-class debut in May 2011 against Cambridge. It was his only first-team appearance for Surrey that season.
2. He slowly cemented his place in the county side and made over 1,000 runs every season from 2014 to 2017.
3. Playing 96 first-class matches, he has 6,548 runs to his name with 12 centuries and 35 fifties.
4. Back in 2015, Burns suffered a serious injury during a Natwest t20 Blast game as he collided with teammate Moises Henriques while attempting to take a catch. He was given immediate medical attention and subsequently suffered several stitches on his face.
5. His Surrey teammates think he should be in contention for an England spot. Former cricketer Tom Lancefield has accused the England Cricket Board of not considering Burns in the national squad even once.
Kohli, who has just ended another miserable Indian Premier League (IPL) campaign with Royal Challengers Bangalore, will not play the Afghanistan Test, which starts on June 14.